Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Greatest Thing Ever & Perfect Strangers

OK before you get all worked up this post is not about Sex(of course it's capitalized). Now for the rest of you who are still reading let me point this out, Sex is not all that great and I can prove it... Sex is one of only three ways you can get AIDS(All caps, do you really have to ask?), point made (how's that for taking the wind out of your sails?) and now let's go on.

Now my post has to do with the picture to the right, that's what I refer to as the TV on DVD wing(oh yeah, I'm the man). The DVD format is great, the Commentary track is one of the greatest ideas ever conceived. This post is about one specific section of the DVD market, TV on DVD. I'm actually surprised it took this long for it to happen, there were some TV sets on VHS but for the most part they were "best of" type sets. Now we're getting full Seasons and other extras on the sets. That's a great thing for the style of shows(with a continuing series/season storyline) that seems to be on these days; for example there's 24, Lost, Prison Break, and Battlestar Gallactica. It gets even better, because they're releasing shows from the past(of course not all of them, where's "Just the 10 of Us") and even some of them have gotten extras. Several of my favorites have been released and several I thought would never be(thank you Anchor Bay for releasing Titus, 3rd Rock, and the Greatest American Hero, so take a bow).

Now there's always a catch so here's the bad news. Several TV series sets have released -WITHOUT- the original music used during the original Series run. Now let me repeat that, "released without the original music". Now some of the shows it really doesn't matter, for example the Greatest American Hero and Hardcastle & McCormick for the most part used music made just for the show. Now on the other hand, shows like 21 Jumpstreet and Miami Vice(Don't worry, they were smart enough to pay for the music) really lose something in the translation, several big moments on the DVDs of Jumpstreet just don't have the same impact(Just think of how different any James Bond/Star Wars/Grease movie would be if the DVD releases replaced all the music, not a pretty sight is it?).

Now I've talked a lot about the format it self but the real joy one can get out of it is the opportunity to share a piece of your youth with your family and friends. As I've been building my collection, I've been sharing it with my nieces. My niece Alyssa loves Punky Brewster and Sabrina: the Teenage Witch among others. Sometimes there's been shows she didn't like Perfect Strangers(oh well, I'll try again in about seven years) and I know not everybody is like me, and what a boring place the world would be then(wait a minute, if that was the case, Friends would never have been made, Quantom Leap and Buffy would still be on the air, and everybody will have watched The Buttercream Gang at least once).

One last thing, How is it that anybody doesn't like Perfect Strangers? I mean the show had a solid concept, a character that everybody loved, good selection of catchphrases, a memorable theme song(admit it, everybody knows the song when they hear it), and the show ran for 9 years(that's just under a decade). Now I know there are those who hate(or so they claim) the show, but a show doesn't runs for a decade when nobody watches it. Well Fox had to move Married... With Children all over the schedule to get it canceled(guess they were being cautious, I mean after the backlash when they canceled America's Most Wanted, let's just say there's a reason it's still on the air), I think they moved the time slot for it 4 times. Take that fact any way you want too.

Looks like I'm going long again so I'll say Later...

theJDman

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home